Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Argentina - Santa Elena Letter #26

From: Amanda Gibbons
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 10:53 AM
To: Bonnie Gibbons
Subject: weekly update!

Hey Family and Friends,
So i really have not had the best week of my mission. I had to stay in my house or sit around a lot. It turns out the pain in my foot was actually from my back. I hurt my back about 5 years ago when I got bucked from a horse. But hey what can ya do. I went to the doctor and he said all my bones are good, I just get to go back to Physical Therapy. ha I don’t think I will ever get away from the physical therapy world. Scott, these guys here in this small town are not the best, I definitely miss my REHAB AZ!
Anyways, enough about me! We have a baptism this weekend and I still cannot believe it! Jorge Farias is so stinkin’ excited to get into the water. His whole family has been members for 2 years, but for some reason he never wanted to or never understood why it was important. We had him fast and this week he shared his experience with us. He said,” when you were asking me if I wanted to get baptized, with all my heart I wanted to say NO, but something much stronger than me was telling me to say Yes, and when that word left my lips, I felt edified and knew that it was right. I don’t know, but something in that fast changed my understanding” He had his interview yesterday and passed with flying colors. The elder who was interviewing him said that he wants to serve a mission! What a change, going from “I don’t know” for every question, to now saying he wants to serve!
I love this gospel, and I’m not going to lie, right now I am extremely “trunky”, and for all of you out there, that means that I am thinking a lot about my house and that I want to be there! Its not a good feeling. I’m trying to remember the amazing parts about my mission. How I feel when I am doing the work! It is soooo true, Satan works with the idle mind. My friends, I hope that you are searching your scriptures and remembering why we are here! I had a pretty cool experience. My mission president said that if we can-t fix this I might have to go home (I really don’t want to have to do that), and I got really sad. I began to have my personal study. I have a plan to read the Book of Mormon 5 times in my mission, and I was really behind this day. I know it was no accident. I read in 3Nephi 17:7-9 where Jesus invites all the sick to come and be healed. He says” Your faith is sufficient that I should heal you.” I know that he can heal me, if my faith is what it needs to be and if it be his will. In chapter 18:20 He says “and whatsoever ye shall ask that father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.” Once again, I just need to ask, and believe. If it be right in the sight of God, I will be able to return to the work!
Man I feel so blessed to have these inspired words from the ancient prophets. I know they were written for our day! I hope and pray that you can find peace in the words! Keep the faith, and pray that I will have the strength as well.
I LOVE YOU!
Hermana Gibbons

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandy’s friends and family!
    I have included a bit of an update as well since we haven’t heard from her in two weeks! Mandy re-injured her hip/back about 3 weeks ago and has been unable to work like she has been. Mandy wrote” i guess i was overcompensating when i walk. My foot is swollen a bit and my back didn't hurt until i went to the physical therapist and he worked on me. I can now feel it throughout my whole back and my hips, i can't fit my foot into my shoes. i couldn’t talk to the doctor very well, it’s really hard to explain in Spanish. My pain level depends on what I’m doing. But the thing is if i sit for a long time i can feel it, if i walk for a long time i can feel it, and every morning i feel it.’ She has been to two other Drs, they did take x-rays & nothing is broken or fractured. Each of those Drs just gave her an anti-inflammatory which is not helping. Ice is not available, no electricity for a heating pad and according to pictures she has sent, I’m not sure she actually has a bed! The terrain there is very rough and if it is paved it is cobblestone. Please keep her in your prayers. She really wants to get out there and back to work. I know that those of you who have suffered a back/hip injury know how debilitating it can be & for a long period of time. I have a care package going with battery operated electrical stimulation, icy/hot, pain patches and another pair of shoes, hopefully she’ll get it sooner than the last package (7 weeks!). She has transfers in 2 weeks so she should get it by then! Thank you all for your love and support. I know that she can feel the strength of our faith and prayers for her.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete