Friday, July 9, 2010

Argentina - Santa Elena Letter #22



From: Amanda Gibbons
Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 7:34 AM
To: Bonnie Gibbons
Subject: Argentine Goodies!

Hola!
So I love being a missionary. I don’t know why the lord decided to bless me with this opportunity to see miracles, but here I am! I’ve been a little down this past week. I think it’s because of the change of pace with the work, or just working with a different companion all together. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my new comp. Hermana Garcia is an example of charity and service. I have never seen someone so interested in the lives of those around her. She listens and follows the spirit on what they need to be taught. I just felt like I wasn’t doing everything I could, but I didn’t know what to change. I decided instead of trying to figure it out for myself, I should get on my knees and ask the one who knows everything. One thing I have definitely learned on my mission is to rely on him. How easily we forget to do that!
Ok so this is what happened. We have been teaching this group of 5 boys for like 3 weeks and everytime we teach them they listen and there is this desire in their eyes to learn more. But when they are all together it’s hard to see who is ready and who is progressing. So we decided to get individual appts. The first was with Maxi, we have been working the longest with him. He is reading but refuses to pray. I was strongly prompted by the spirit to drop him, which I had no desire to do. But there was no way I could deny that impression. We dropped him and guess what, the Lord blesses us when we follow his guidance. The next day, we had a meeting with his friend Nico. He told us he loves talking with us about Christ and wants to go to church! He is the one who is ready to be taught. Also, we were reacquainted with one of our old investigators, Miguel Rossie! We came to his house, he said ok lets pray! Then in his pray he said he knows that this is the true church, which is amazing because his problem before was that he wanted to be both Catholic and Mormon, ha doesn’t really work that way. We now just need to help him quit smoking!
We are going to have a baptism this weekend as well. Alexi Alvarez, the son of my recent converts, Betty and Salustiano, has reaccepted another date for baptism. He is so ready. He loves to go to church and he shows us what he reads in the book of mormon with all the pictures!
What wonderful miracles we can see in this life! All we have to do is remember that we are nothing without Christ. Right now I am fasting from English! Ha, it has been interesting. My companion has woken up to me talking in my sleep in Spanish! And I am really learning a lot! I love this time here and I know as we humble ourselves we can receive guidance from the spirit, which means we make ourselves available to receive blessings! I love you all and I hope this letter helps someone this week! Thank you for your prayers and for taking care of my mommy and daddy while I am away!
Keep pushing forward!
Love Hermana Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment