Thursday, February 10, 2011

Argentina - Entre Rios #46

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Amanda Gibbons
Date: Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM
Subject: weekly goodies!
To: Bonnie Gibbons
WOW!!!
   Hey family and friends!  So I just got news that Dan and Betty (awesome investigators from my last area) got baptized!!!!!  All 4 of their kids were baptized about 6 months ago and they have been waiting to receive divorce papers so they could get married, to be baptized!!!!  Dan basically already is a leader in the church.  He set up the activities that the priesthood does every other week!  Pretty much a miracle that they were able to get a marriage date so soon!!! I'm sad I missed the wedding and all, but the work goes on right!?  Plus I love my area and I wouldn't trade it for the world!  We met this amazing woman, Gladis, while we were walking down the street.   She was passing out some calendars for some politics.  We felt the need to stop her and contact her.  The first lesson we had with her, she told us that she would never change her religion, she is catholic for life.  I was a little set back and was ready to get another speech about her grandpa's grandpa was catholic and so that’s how it is...but she changed and started telling us about her life and the things that have happened.  We shared with her the hope and joy that comes from the gospel, from knowing the truth.  We shared the faith and the plea a young boy had to his father!  That he received an answer directly from the God the Father and Jesus Christ.  Joseph Smith was called to be a prophet for these days and through that power he received, restored the church of Christ on this earth, so that we can be saved!  She was so excited!  She thanked us so much and couldn't wait for us to come back!  We are going to teach her tonight!
 
    We had an investigator in church Sunday!!!   Her name is Adela, she is a very lonely and confused lady.  I think she has been used and pushed around a lot in her life.  She loves the message we have been sharing, but is pretty much anti baptism.  Her mom is Evangelist and when she was 12, her mom basically forced her into the water.  She told us she wants to be sure before she makes a decision.  She is so cute and has a ton of questions.  I know that she is looking for the peace that the gospel brings!
 
  So my companion is awesome, but she has had a really difficult time learning the language.  She is 9 months in the mission and talks like a newbie!  Poor girl is really frustrated about it, but is determined to learn!  She doesn't see it, but many of the lessons we've taught or the people we've contacted changed their minds because she bore testimony, or smiled while saying the Spanish that she knows!  Man, she really does bring a strong spirit, it’s been really fun working with Hna. Mitchell.  The only scary thing is that I have to understand everything they say!  It’s pretty crazy and I am just glad that I have the gift of the Holy Ghost who helps me understand and respond to the people in a way that they feel his love.  Who knew it would be so tiring teaching all the time?  Ha, usually when I turn the time over to my comp, she looks at me like I just asked her to go jump off a bridge into cold water!  But she teaches and they understand!

We live with 2 other sister, we actually are all in the same Branch!  It’s pretty crazy, but really awesome to see what we can all do together.  They get references for us, we get contacts for them...it’s just good stuff!

  So the other day, some drunk guy came up to us and called out to us, "Hermanas!!"  Turns out he was a member, but member or not, I usually get their address and pass by another time, hopefully when they are not wasted.  But for some reason I felt we should follow him to his house (no worries, it was 11am and there were a ton of people out).  Anyways, we’re sitting out front of his porch, trying to teach him and his friend about prayer, and he just keeps talking over us.  I even ask him to be quiet and listen (I have never done that before) and he just kept right on talking.  It was so funny that Hna. Mitchell and I couldn't help burst out laughing!  I had no idea why I was trying to teach this guy, but I didn't feel that I should leave!  Out came this guys Aunt, who turns out to be a member with 7 sons who were never baptized!  Also, she had one son who was in his bed with a high fever.  She asked us to call someone to come give him a blessing.  One of the members went and I haven't heard anything about the boy, but I know that we were there not only to find this family, but to help with the faith of this sister!
 
  So in every situation you are in, look around and see why god has placed you there!  I have to tell you all how proud I am of my parents!  They have begun to see how important and easy it is to share the gospel with others!  My dad shared his testimony with a work member (who said he was looking for something in his life) and my mom as well talked to some of her students and patients at the hospital!  I am sooooooooo proud of you guys.  This is what we are here to do!!  Now that we know the truth, our purpose is to help others find the truth!!  We keep working until our family, our neighbors and our friends know who we are and that they can be happy like us!!  Hehe, I love missionary work!  Keep the faith,
--
Con amor,
  Hermana Gibbons



No comments:

Post a Comment